Air Conditioner Repair and Maintenance Tips
Air conditioning units require regular repair and also maintenance to keep them working at peak performance. A well-maintained AC unit perform better. A more efficient unit can also save you money each month on your energy bill. Here’s a look at some critical air conditioner repair tips and maintenance tasks that should be performed regularly on your AC unit.
Air Conditioner Repair Tips
- Clean the Filter Frequently
- One of the easiest things is to keep your AC running efficiently is to clean the filter. Over time, the filter collects dirt, dust, and debris, which can cause an obstruction. These accumulations cause the amount of intake air to decrease while increasing the amount of electricity necessary to keep the space cool. Every two to four weeks, clean the filter with a vacuum cleaner attachment. If highly soiled, wash the filter in warm water and mild dish detergent. Allow the filter to dry in direct sunlight.
- Replace Filters When Necessary
- If your filter is not reusable, it will need to be replaced every two to three months. Replacing a clogged, dirty filter with a new one can reduce your air conditioner’s energy consumption by 5 to 15 percent. Filters that are in constant use or homes with pets may require more frequent changing. Not only will you notice a difference in the air quality in your home, but you’ll also be preventing dirt and dust from accumulating in the unit, which can result in expensive air conditioner repair down the road.
Other Air Conditioner Repair Tips
- Ensure that the Coils are Clean
- Evaporator and condenser coils inside your unit can collect dust and dirt over the cooling season. Dirty coils are not able to absorb heat as well as clean coils, which reduces the efficiency of the air conditioner. At least once a year, check the coils to ensure that they are clean. If you do not have experience cleaning coils, hire a professional air conditioner repair service at Maxwell Heating & Cooling to complete this task.
- Seal and Insulate Your Cooling Ducts
- By sealing and insulating your cooling ducts is one of air conditioner repair tips, you can greatly improve the efficiency of your AC system. You’ll want to primarily concentrate on areas that need sealing and insulating, such as basements, attics, crawl spaces, and garages. Use metal-backed or duct sealant tape to seal all connections and seams. You’ll then want to insulate the ducts to keep the cool air from escaping. Sealing and insulating your cooling ducts can improve your system’s efficiency by up to 20 percent.
- Maintain the Area Around the Unit
- Outside AC units can quickly accumulate debris and require regular maintenance. Use a shop vacuum to remove any dirt, dust, fallen leaves, and other debris that may have fallen into or around the system. Trim back trees and bushes in the vicinity, as the condensing unit should have a minimum of two feet of clearance. Regularly check the condensate drain lines to ensure that the water is flowing freely and not backing up. It’s also important to frequently clean your condensate drain pans to prevent mold growth.
Contact Your Air Conditioning Carrollton Expert
Contact Maxwell Heating and Cooling today for air conditioning maintenance and repair appointments. Call today!